October 18, 2010
Just a quick update for everyone who has been poking us with pointy sticks. Team Godchecker have been extraordinarily busy lately. Here’s a quick update:
Our new book is OUT NOW from all good outlets. Details here: http://wp.me/PU6Cw-5C. Feedback so far has been brilliant. If you can’t find the book on the shelves of your local store, please ASK!
If you’d like to help promote the book, we’ll be offering some very special posters and other goodies shortly. Requests for review copies, interviews or book signing sessions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The London Fortean Times Unconvention looms. If you are going, let us know. We will be there to promote the book dressed as Aztec Gods. Or perhaps not. Do you know how hard it is to obtain flayed skin costumes nowadays?
Gods aside, Chas Saunders is also working on new project involving dinosaurs, while Peter A is secretly writing a historical comedy about potatoes.
That’s all for now. Thanks for your support and may the Gods smile upon you.
October 3, 2010
These days we have the X Factor Competition between the Omnipotence of POPE IDOL and the HAWKING & DAWKINS BIG BANG SHOW.
The Good Old Gods tried and tested from time immemorial suffer sadly from neglect.
The Christian and Atheist Cultures have ignored or are disinclined to believe in two of the fundamentals of Human Faith : a sense of humour and a right to choose.
Beliefs should come in a wide variety and you should be able to pick what suits you rather than having opinions forced upon you. When selecting from the God Market you should be able to exchange or get refunds on faulty deities or worships that don’t work. Think of our modest volume as a catalogue. You should also go for special offers. Try one and get one Free – or Three for the Price of One.
Finally we have it on good authority that many of our Gods do not believe the the existence of Richard Dawkins, Scientology or humans unable to notice sunsets.
As for a God who thinks he is the One and Only – how is he ever going to cope with democracy?
September 17, 2010
Shock news from our publisher! “Last month there was a collision at the entrance to Bombay harbour. Happily, none of our books were on either ship but it did block access to the shipping terminal for quite some time and hold up one of our shipments.”
Oops. Non-fiction hardbacks overboard Captain!
No, it wasn’t a cheap publicity stunt. The good news is that the books are now on course. The Book of the Gods will be in the warehouse soon.
Meanwhile, we are trying to think of suitable blurbs. How about:THE BOOK THEY TRIED TO DROWN!
August 22, 2010
It is all systems go at Godchecker HQ for the launch of our new book.
Yes, there will be a launch party. Glamorous Gods and gorgeous Goddesses will be invited. Bacchus himself will hopefully assist with the refreshments, while Hercules and Thor will be on door security. Nymphs will flitter and float, Chinese dragons will twirl, and a number of anti-Christs will be in attendance.
All we need now is a venue and a date. Ideas welcome!
Meanwhile we hope to attend this year’s Fortean Times Unconvention in London. We are currently making our pleas to the deities concerned. More news when we have it.
June 13, 2010
The Book of the Gods front cover. Click for larger view
And here in all its glorious glory is the FRONT COVER of the forthcoming Godchecker hardback The Book Of The Gods, published September 2010 by History Press.
We had a small meeting today and decided to release the image to our loyal followers. Some of you have been waiting a long time for this! Hope you like it.
Click the thumbnail for a larger view.
More book previews soon!
June 11, 2010
Just to keep our loyal acolytes in the loop, here’s a quick rundown of the freshest Godchecker news.
- After much hectic editorial poking and prodding, The Book of the Gods is finished, checked, stamped and approved. The artwork is currently in India being scrutinised by a crack team of expert printers and we expect an exciting parcel to arrive some time in September. Godchecker HQ sends out a large thank-you to Robin Harries of The History Press and his team for their sterling work during the editorial and design process.
- We are hoping to give everyone a sneak preview of the amazingly gorgeous cover soon. Maybe even a sample page or two. We are very very very pleased with it. The Gods have indeed been smiling upon us.
- Godchecker Marketing Dept are planning and plotting ideas for the book launch. A party seems inevitable. Maybe two. Where and when? Beer or wine? Casual dress or togas? We’ll let you know.
- Never a man to rest on his laurels (for that is extremely uncomfortable), the magnificent Chas Saunders is once again delving into pubs and real ale for his Pubology project. It’s a tough job but someone has to do it.
- Meanwhile, behind the scenes on Godchecker.com, the technical coding team lead by Dr Kludge have been working insanely on a brand new version of the site. Godchecker Mk III will be unveiled very soon!
- Many of our loyal and wonderful readers have discovered the Official Godchecker Twitter where the quirkiest of our many quirks are tweeted for your viewing pleasure. Please help us to help the Gods and spread the word!
That’s all for now. More very soon!
May 14, 2010
Snail mail arrived at Godchecker HQ this morning from our very own Chas Saunders. For your edification we present his wise words:
That CHAS bloke has writ annuver book and is now a WRECKERNISED ORFER. You can’t see it rite now cos its wiv a PUBLISHER. (We know Chas spends a lotta time in Pubs but we dunno what this Lishing stuff is.)
PETER A the VoodooGuru has DEFECATED to another locashun and now rites on the TWITTERBLOG. We fink ‘e is being followed…
There is also a poem which is apparently entitled ‘Brain Drain’:
My wits have wittered and withered away.
My brain has gone on holiday
I cannot find a piece of mind.
My bubbles of thought have all gone ‘sploff’
The top of my head is badly off
Beyond all reason, beyond all doubt
My inner self has fallen out.
Scribbled across the pink parchment are the words BUT WE MADE IT!
May 11, 2010
Publication boost for illustrated Gods
Word from our publishers, the wonderful History Press. They are keen to include as many illustrations as possible in our Book of the Gods. However, despite Chas working furiously with pen and ink for over a decade, there are still many Gods without an official Godchecker portrait.
Therefore, to avoid offending readers with unexplained empty patches and camera-shy deities, we are concentrating our editorial efforts on filling the book with the most photogenic and beautiful figures in our Holy Database.
Just remember, it’s not all buxom nymphs and muscle-bound heroes. There are many among us who find warty cross-eyed hags surprisingly attractive.